The History of the Woodlawn Reformed Church
The Contracting firm of John Duguid was chosen to build the new Church and in the summer of 1924 ground was broken. The cornerstone was laid on Sunday, November 2, 1924. Eleven months later, On October 4, 1925, the dedication was held. The Church was a basement structure and remained so until the 1940's.
The cornerstone was re-laid on April 19th, 1947. The new building was constructed on the basement structure that had been used as a Church, since 1925.
Plans and specifications were made by Architects Wenner and Fink of Philadelphia, with Dr. Elbert Conover of New York as Consultant. The firm of Christianson and Neielson served as General Contractors.
All pews and chancel furnishings were purchased from the American Seating Company.
The American tinted glass windows were provided by the Haskins Glass Studios in Rochester. Lighting Fixtures were designed by the Novelty Lighting Company.
The first service held in our new Sanctuary was on Easter Sunday, March 28, 1948. The Sanctuary was officially dedicated on Sunday, June 27, 1948
A Meneely Bell originally hung in the belfry of the West Milton Presbyterian Church and was made available to us at a nominal sum by the Albany Presbytery. It rang for the first time on Thanksgiving day 1947.